My Own Teal Story

The time was Memorial Day Weekend of 2003, something was wrong, very wrong. I was doubled over in cramps. I was rushed to the emergency room of Louis A. Weiss Memorial Hospital where the emergency room doctors removed my IUD. Out with the IUD came a fibrous tissue. Before I knew what was going on I was rushed upstairs and thrown into a bed.

The next morning after getting an hour of rest, I got up and wandered through the ward. To my shock and surprise, I was in the Oncology department's ward! The hospital ran test after test after test and came back with the diagnosis of Diverse Ticulitis. I knew that was a lie for I was born with this. It was a birth defect that would not have left the fibrous goop on the IUD.

Diverse Ticulitis is pockets on the intestines that trap tiny bits of food such as the seeds of tomatoes and strawberries. That wouldn't have gotten in to the lining of my fallopian tubes. I'm not an idiot, a bit naïve at times, but certainly no hayseed that just landed on the big city just because I come from the state of Texas!

I went to the Cancer Treatment Center for a second opinion because I was still hurting and it felt like someone was stabbing me in the right ovary. After an exploration surgery on the right abdominal cavity, it was found: an Epithelial tumor Grade 2, on my right ovary. They removed the ovary and the fallopian tube. After the biopsy, the results came back. Stage 1, T1a, N0, M0, OVCA.

Out of everyone in my family, my fiancé, Dan, my then 13 year-old daughter, Alexis, my then 7 year old son, Mason, and my then 13 month old son, Coltrane, I took the news hard and hit the bed for 3 days and cried day and night.

Would I live to see my children graduate high school? Would I live long enough to see my youngest take his first steps? Would I even see my own grandchildren? On and on I cried and cried.

Then I picked myself up, took a shower and went back to the Cancer Treatment Center where I was not only treated with Paraplatin and Taxol, but they treated me through diet, spirituality, holistically, and exercise. Plus a counselor that helped me to see the forest for the trees that were in the way.

After two years of treatment, I am in remission. All my friends rejoice and say that I beat the monster Cancer that is the silent killer of women, but I know that remission means that at any time I could slip back into active state and have to battle it again.

Published on August 4, 2006 in